Sunday, January 22, 2012

I can finally make good dinner rolls.

This is big news around here.  We all love rolls, but for years I honestly thought I couldn't make them.  I stopped trying because I didn't like spending hours in the kitchen to end up disappointed in the end.  A few weeks ago I tried a new recipe and was very shocked excited when they turned out.  An added bonus is that they're also very quick to make.  The only thing I didn't like was that the rolls were made with only white flour.  I wanted to use my wheat to make healthier rolls, but I still wanted them to be quick and I wanted them to turn out just as yummy.  I finally found a recipe that turned out just as good using wheat flour.  It takes less than an hour to make these tasty, healthy rolls!  I've been making them a lot lately. So much that when I started making some today William looked at me like I was crazy.  But of course he's not complaining.  He pigs out on them as much as the rest of us!

Anyway, I thought I'd share the recipe in case anyone is interested.  Yes, I have it memorized.


Quick Whole Wheat Rolls

4 tablespoons yeast

2 1/4 c. warm water

2/3 cup oil

1/2 cup sugar

2 eggs

2 tsp. salt

3 cups whole wheat flour 

3-4 cups all-purpose flour  

butter (optional)


Dissolve yeast in water. Add oil and sugar. Let stand 10 minutes. Add eggs, salt, and enough flour to form a soft dough. Knead until smooth and elastic, adding remaining flour as needed. You can do this by hand on a floured surface, or use a mixer with a dough hook attached and let it do the work for you!  Once the dough is smooth and elastic, divide into 24 pieces, shaping each into a ball. Place about 3 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Bake at 425 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  After taking rolls out of oven, spread some butter over the top, if desired

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...