Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Go gold for Matt!

September is National Childhood Cancer Awareness month.  Before Matt's diagnosis, I could not stand to listen to anything about childhood illness and disease.  When St. Jude commercials played on my car radio at Christmastime, I would quickly change to a different station.  I never admitted this to anyone, because I knew it was selfish.  There were things I didn't know at the time, but learned after Matt's diagnosis.  I would like to share some of our story because I understand the importance of raising awareness for childhood cancer.  Research is needed to find causes and treatments.  I have read several articles about the limited amount of money that is raised for childhood cancers (read an overview here).  Our children need and deserve better.


My son, Matthew, is a happy, rambunctious 10 year old.  Last year he was diagnosed with a pilomyxoid astrocytoma (PMA).  PMA's are defined by Johns Hopkins as, "A type of brain cancer largely seen in children"(http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/kimmel_cancer_center/research_clinical_trials/research
/brain_cancer/pilomyxoid_astrocytoma_registry.html).  Some doctors we met are willing to call Matt's tumor benign, while others are not.  One of the first doctors we talked to post pathology report said it is definitely benign.  Since then, I have had several doctors and other hospital personnel refer to Matt's diagnosis as a cancer diagnosis.  It is confusing at best.  Each time someone refers to Matt as a cancer patient, I feel like I have been punched in the stomach.  It is not something I will ever get used to.




Matt's tumor was removed a few days after diagnosis.  PMA's can return and are known for being aggressive, so Matt has yearly MRI's to watch for recurrence.  Any recurrence will result in more surgery as well as chemotherapy or radiation. If there is no recurrence in five years, he will be considered cured.  This is what we hope and pray for every day.




Some days are easier than others.  Some days are difficult because Matt has a headache or looks cross-eyed for a split second.  Other days are hard for no apparent reason.  I have broken down, sobbing like I did when he was first diagnosed at random moments because I relive the initial diagnosis or the seizure he had after surgery.  My heart broke in these moments and breaks again each time I remember them.

I share these feelings with you, hoping that you will take a moment to Go Gold this month.  Instead of eating out, send a check to a pediatric research hospital.  Take a few minutes this month to pray for children who are diagnosed with cancer and their families.  Children deserve a happy, carefree childhood. Let's unite our efforts for the brave children whose innocent childhoods are interrupted by surgeries, long hospital stays, and painful medical treatments.

Go here to find 30 ways you can support the cause.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...