Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Some thoughts on grieving and love

February is always bittersweet for me.  My father passed away in February of 2003.  Life changes in an instant when you lose someone you love.  I still yearn to talk with my dad.  He was always there for me, whenever I needed him.  He always reminded me how much he loved and cared for me.  A year after he passed away, on February 14, 2004 I had the opportunity to be sealed to my parents in the Columbus, Ohio Temple.  I am so grateful that I will see my dad again.  I still grieve, but I take comfort knowing that it's just temporary.
Recently I was in the temple pondering and praying.  I prayed specifically for comfort regarding my dad.  I think the hard part about grieving is that there are times when it gets really tough all over again.  Someone I was talking to once compared grieving to a washcloth, sometimes so wet it needs to be wrung out.  It can be so painful!  This was one of those times.  I prayed for comfort and after praying noticed a set of scriptures right next to me.  I picked up the scriptures and turned to this verse:

Alma 40:11  Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection- Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.

I felt so much peace when I read that scripture and so much gratitude for a loving Father in Heaven who heard my prayer and answered with words of comfort.                                                                                                                                                                

I cherish the memories I have of my father.  I'm grateful he was able to get to know Jason before he passed away.  I'm pretty sure Jason was the first guy I dated that my dad liked.  They got along really well, which meant the world to me.  And then Jason was by my side as I lost my dad and when I was sealed to him in the temple on Valentine's day a year later.  That makes Valentine's Day one of my favorite days all year, as I am filled with gratitude for my dad and for a loving husband who's been by my side through so much!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...