Sunday, July 1, 2012

Not your mother's meatloaf

Anyone else grow up eating ketchup covered meat loaf?  I went to a dutch oven class yesterday and wasn't too enthusiastic when the instructor announced he was making meatloaf.  He made a huge batch, expecting more people to show up for the class.  So he gave us heaping portions of it to try.  It was very tasty and completely tender. I ate it so quickly I hoped nobody noticed.  I came home and announced to Jason that we'd be having meatloaf for dinner.
 Cooking in a dutch oven is just fun.  We were all outside, the kids playing (Owen got in the pool with all of his clothes and shoes on) while Jason and I carefully watched the coals and put new ones on when needed.  I was nervous it wouldn't work out, since I've only cooked in a dutch oven over propane before, but it turned out great!  And cooking with coals makes the backyard smell awesome, just like a campfire.  It was a hit and I'm sure we'll be making it again.

                                
                                                                                                   
I also learned how to make a very tasty blueberry cobbler.  The recipe calls for a can of 7UP, which I've never used in a cobbler before.  I've heard of it, but we hardly ever buy soda so I never have any lying around.  It's very simple, super delicious and something you'll definitely want to try if you haven't already!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...