Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My Ellis Island Experience

Oh, the things we do for our kids...

The kids and I were headed home after piano lessons when William reminded me that tonight was the immigration open house at school.  In PACE he's been studying immigration all year.  He's worked hard and was quite excited to go to school tonight and participate in a mock-up of the Ellis Island experience.

I figured Owen would be grumpy so I was kicking myself for not getting a babysitter, but that's what happens when I forget to write these things on the calendar.  I was right, he was a very angry little guy.  It didn't help that the lines were chaotic at best and he doesn't like crowds.  I wanted to leave, but tried my best to keep a smile on my face and let William know that I really did want to be there and participate with him.

The best part of the evening was getting my new identity.  I was Maria Milano, an 88 year-old Italian woman.  I was illiterate, had arthritis and was so weak I was considered to be barely alive.  I had to act out my part in several stations.  It didn't take long after the health station for them to decide I would be deported.  So back to Italy I would go within 24 days after arriving in Ellis Island.

The local news was there and you can see a quick news clip here.  Owen and I are in the background, but it's not very easy to spot us.

2 comments:

  1. You silly, you can always drop Owen off here. We don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to say what Melanie said.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...