Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Motherhood

If you haven't been to the Power of Moms website recently, visit their site and read some of their fabulous articles.  I was excited to attend one of their retreats this past weekend.  Power of Moms is all about Deliberate Parenting.  It's basically professional development for the occupation of motherhood.  What I love so much about it is that it's principle based.  I've learned so much and I think I've become a better mother since I've attended retreats, read their articles, and met with some great friends in a Learning Circle.

At the Park City Retreat earlier this year I had the chance to hear Macy Robison perform music from her album Children Will Listen.  I was listening to the album today in the car and remembered one of my favorite moments from the Park City Retreat.  Macy's song In the Meantime spoke directly to my heart.  I definitely carry a lot of mom guilt with me and worry over all of my mistakes.  She sang the words, "And she wonders when she'll really find herself again, but she's becoming one on whom God can depend."  I had the impression that I am becoming one on whom God can depend.  I immediately thought of Jason's crazy travel schedule we dealt with for so long.  I realized that even though I felt at times that I would lose it, I didn't lose it.  I held our family together.  My kids were happy and didn't seem very bothered by Jason's travel and I had to give myself some credit for that.  I took care of my responsibilities to the very best of my abilities, without making excuses.  Now I don't want to give the impression that I think I'm perfect.  I don't.  I'm painfully aware of my weaknesses and faults and I know there is still so much I need to learn.  I was so thankful for that impression, because I felt love and acceptance of what I do as a mother from my Father in Heaven.

My second retreat this past weekend was just as amazing.  I had so many "ah-ha" moments to guide me as a mother of four amazing, busy, sometimes crazy kids!  My favorite quote of the day was "Raise the Praise, Minimize the Criticize."  I came away with many concrete ideas to implement into our family that I know will make our relationships stronger and our family happier.  I also loved hearing stories from other mothers and knowing I'm not alone in my day-to-day struggles and triumphs.  What an incredible group of women!

Motherhood is the most important job anyone can have.  It's exhausting and trying at times, but always fulfilling.  I'm grateful I discovered Power of Moms.  It's an amazing resource that really has blessed my life (and the life of my husband and kids)!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...