Thursday, December 22, 2011

Mitt Romney

I've read a lot of news articles about Mitt Romney lately.  Some from non Mormons, some from Mormons.  I find it all very interesting, mostly because I am surprised at how narrow-minded some people are about the Mormon faith.  I saw it a lot in high school and honestly didn't expect to see it as much as an adult.

I was telling Jason recently about my experiences in high school when people found out I was a Mormon.  I had some Catholic friends who knew and they didn't really care.  Then I had some protestant friends.  They cared.  A lot.  They often informed me of what I "actually believed", as if I knew nothing of my own beliefs.  I'm not angry about it, I'm really not.  Believe it or not, I wasn't then either.  I was hurt more than anything else, but those in my high school who were real friends got over it and we decided not to talk religion.  On the other hand, my Catholic friends sometimes felt bad for the rude comments that occasionally came my way.  I remember they actually invited me to their bible study group so I could meet one of their youth leaders, because he knew what it felt like to be harrassed for one's beliefs. They just wanted to let me know I wasn't alone.

Seeing how it's been over 11 years since I graduated, I had honestly forgotten about all this until all of the headlines starting popping up all over the place about Mormons and Mitt Romney.  It brought it all back.  Tonight I stumbled upon this video of Joel Osteen.  He definitely makes it clear that he doesn't agree with everything Mormon's believe, but he points out that there are disagreements between all Christian faiths and he does consider Mormons to be Christians.  I really appreciated what he had to say.  It isn't narrow-minded or vicious.  It's his open, honest opinion.  As someone who has heard it all about the evils of Mormonism, it's something I just had to share!

Here's a link to the video...
Joel Osteen 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...